icon
icon
icon

 

 

Clyde Avenue M.B. Church was established as the result of a vision given to Rev. Jerome Swanson. He was directed to an empty storefront in the North Memphis community of New Chicago at 1226 Breedlove Street. The first service was held in January, 1968 with Rev. Orenzo Hollowell (Assistant Pastor) Rev. Burse, Bro. Danny Davis, the Hollowell family, the Davis family, the Crawford family and Sis. Mary Toy. In 1969, a ministerial committee met and sanctioned the establishing of Clyde Avenue M.B.C.

 

 

 

In 1976, we were blessed with the first of many improvements to our facility. The heating system was replaced, restrooms updated, pews and new pulpit furniture were purchased. In 1981, we lost our first lady, Lethane Swanso, in her fight with kidney disease. In 1982, we lost our assistant Pastor Rev Orenzo Hollowell. Rev. Michael Hollowell took over his duties of preaching on the second and fourth Sundays. Between 1982-1985, property on both sides of the church and behind the church was purchased.

We received a new, first lady in the person of Sis Fannie Swanson, a great help meet and asset to the church. She has played many roles-organist, Sunday School teacher and Missionary.

We lost our founder and Pastor Rev. Jerome Swanson in November 1995. He had fought a good fight and like Apostle Paul, he had finished his course.


 

 

After Pastor Swanson’s death, our deacon board, Bros. Herbert Hurt, Anthony Jones, Sr. and Willie Lawson led the church forward in our search for a new Pastor with invaluable advice from Rev. H.K. Summerall. Our new pastor is Rev. Dr. Donald J. Small. Under his leadership, the church has grown spiritually, physically, and financially. He has worked untiringly to improve and beautify Clyde Avenue so that we will be a beacon of light in North Memphis. He is still working to ensure that we become the church that the Lord is calling for in these last days.